" When we recall the past, we usually find it is the simplest things - not the great occasions - that in retrospect give off the greatest glow of happiness "

Bob Hope

Thursday, May 5, 2016

And Don't Forget Boone







                                             And Don't Forget Boone




     Getting married again has brought on a whole new set of issues to make one think. For instance, when getting married a second time around to someone who also is marring for the second time means that you most likely will inherit some more baggage - hopefully all good.
     Combining two households can be exciting to say the least. It took four days to go thru two storage sheds and we now have a combined five spade tip shovels, three post hole diggers, five ladders of various lengths, two riding lawn mowers, one push mower, two weed eaters and a chain saw. The kitchen has us bulging with enough Tupperware for our own Tupperware party not to mention four set of china, three sets of silverware and enough assorted pots and pans to open a restaurant.
     When I married Kay not only did my family increase so did my base of friends - any friend of Kay's is now a friend of mine and boy does she have a lot of friends. Kay was born and raised in the Gainesville, Ga. area and later moved to Oconee county where she has been living for about 35 yrs. and where she met and married her husband Wayne Bullock who was a native of Oconee county.
     Let's start out with where she worked in the finance office for the county,there has to be at least 25 - 30 people who have known her for about 15 years and they all call her a good friend. Then there was the distant relative working at Lowe's and another friend who checked us out, while walking at the mall we were hailed by a lady she knew but hadn't seen in some time. Then there were the neighbors and the real estate agent who is selling her house and her daughter's friend and mother who happened to stop by one day. I jokingly asked if there was some place we could go in Oconee county that she didn't know someone, turns out she would have a problem of not running across someone in four surrounding counties. Did I mention that she knows the lady who takes your money at the landfill ?  Oh and the gang she has dinner with the first Monday of the month. I lost count somewhere around 45 - 50.
     Now as for family I gained three brothers - Doug, Bob and Rick, two of them are now my little brothers and I now have the older brother I always wanted if I can only remember which one he is, I know it's either Bob or Rick. They tried to scare me off the first time we met but with Kay by my side I feared not. I am working on their wives names and hope to have them in the proper sequence soon.
      I have met one niece and four of her seven kids, nice family and understand there are more nieces / nephews still out there. I even met Wayne's uncle Mont who owns the property next door, I liked him.
     I also gained a daughter, Katie, actually I am her step father and proud of it, she is beautiful and has a wonderful family. I guess this makes her husband Nathan my step son-in-law. Katie and Nathan have a son Benjamin who is 4 1/2 and a daughter Abigail 20 months, they know me as "Mr. Mike" and to avoid any confusion on their part I will proudly wear the name. Once you get to know her Abigail gives great hugs and kisses.
     According to Facebook there is a whole host of friends, relations and friends of relations yet to meet, with my on coming bout with dementia which may strike at any moment I am going to be in serious trouble, I'll probably be better off if Kay would draw me a family tree.
     What it all boils down to is that I am happy to be a part of Kay's life which includes her family and host of friends, whether I am an in-law, friend, step dad or uncle or just plain"Mr. Mike".

     Oh, don't forget Boone a black and tan coon hound who snores in his sleep and likes peanut butter, he is my new step dog. .
   







No comments:

Post a Comment