" When we recall the past, we usually find it is the simplest things - not the great occasions - that in retrospect give off the greatest glow of happiness "

Bob Hope

Monday, September 11, 2023

I'm Not A Sissy

 





     You would think that being older than dirt would mean that your end is near and you would die before anyone younger but I'm living proof this is a misnomer. In the last few years, I have felt the loss of several people that I cared for and there seems to be no end in sight. My senior class was small, only 63 or 64 students and that number has dwindled down to way less than half, those of us that are left are in a race to eighty, I wonder how many will make it.

     Linda passed away nine years ago, her sister Eileen died a year later. My youngest sibling, Ronnie, will be gone five years come January and Eileen's husband Ken died just a few years back. The one thing they all had in common was that they were all younger than me.

     Yesterday, Linda's sister Vicki called to say that her husband Rich died in his sleep Saturday night. Sis and Rich were divorced and it has been a few years since I had seen him but his memory is still fresh in my mind. I can't remember for sure how old he was but I do know that I had more than a few years on him.

      I remember when my aunt Addie passed away, Her father, my grandfather, cried because he believed that parents shouldn't outlive their children, I know how Grandpa felt. In my mind, I should have departed this life at least ten years back, instead I have had to grieve over the loss of people I have known most of my life and they were all younger than me.

     I guess this is one of the things people mean when they say "getting old ain't for sissies"

     

No comments:

Post a Comment