" When we recall the past, we usually find it is the simplest things - not the great occasions - that in retrospect give off the greatest glow of happiness "

Bob Hope

Monday, May 28, 2018

Who Will Bring Them Flowers





     Last Sunday, May 20, 2018, Kay's brother Rick passed away, he was 69 years old.
     Being the youngest of the family, like Kay, you expect the older siblings to pass before you but that bit of knowledge doesn't make the passing any less painful. We were there for two days, close to tears one minute and laughing at a memory from long ago the next. Kay's family lived in Gainesville, Ga. most of their life and many old friends and distant relatives came to pay their respects and celebrate the life of Rick Kiser. I have known the members of Kay's family a short time, they welcomed me with open arms and from the first moment I met them I have never been a stranger in their home. I have attended their gatherings and listened to their stories of the past, I have heard their laughter and seen their tears. I look upon them as brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews, I too feel the pain of Rick's passing - you will be missed Rick, rest in peace my brother.
     Kay and I took a break from the overwhelming joy and sorrow and went outside for some fresh air. We found a nice bench under an oak tree and sat down. The bench was next to a flat bronze grave marker with a removable flower vase which was holding a bouquet of silk flowers. My curiosity got the better of me and I read the names and dates on the marker, the husband was born in 1898 and died in the mid 1980's, the wife was born in 1902 and died in 1995.  I don't remember their names, they were nobody I knew so I had no knowledge of their lives  or family but they must have someone who still cares for them because there were flowers on the grave.
     I am 71 years old and have attended the funerals of several people that I loved and over the years I have seen a change in the way people look upon death. For centuries people were born, lived and died within a small area of their known world, it should not surprise you to know that many people as late as the 1930's and 40's never ventured farther than 50 miles from the place they were born. Generations of families were born and lived in the same community and family graveyards were not uncommon so when a loved one brought flowers for their spouse they probably brought along extras for mom and dad, granny and grandpa or maybe uncle Joe.
     After World War II families started moving around, my great grandfather, his two wives and youngest daughter are buried together but their sons and daughters are buried in cemeteries all over three or four counties and at least two states on opposite sides of the country. The family graveyard is no more. I attended the funerals for both sets of grand parents and my parents, for whatever reason I have had no desire to return for a visit, memories of them are forever branded into the memory cells of my mind and that is enough for me. Linda and I decided long ago that we wanted to be cremated and our ashes scattered, we didn't want to take up the real estate or have our sons grieving over a marble marker that would eventually erode away, we wanted them to get on with the business of living. Kay and her husband Wayne also chose cremation.
    Very few people achieve immortality in this world those that do eventually are remembered in name only after a couple of generations. Once again my curiosity forced me to gaze upon the bronze marker of the old couple, sadly I wondered, after more than twenty years how many more bouquets the future would hold for them, would someone sit and talk to them, would there be tears of joy or sorrow ?
     Who will bring them flowers ?
   
   


















3 comments:

  1. Thank you Mike. Good story and, like it or not you ARE part of the family! Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written, and I agree with the sentiments--our families are scattered all over, and many no longer even try to make it to the funerals. I think you are one of our Riggans--the ones who went to Arkansas and then to Brewster, Washington. We have Wades, too--I'm curious if your Wades are ours, as well. If you want to caompare notes, my email for family research is aighaid@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your comments, it is quite possible we are from the same clan. I will have to dig out my family tree or better yet put you in touch with my sister and cousin who are the keepers of the flame for our family and have all of the details. My grandfather Riggan had a brother who left home and went to either Oregon or Washington and raised a family. If you would send me your phone number I would enjoy talking to you, it would be interesting to see if we are related. my e mail is mikeriggan@windstream.net

      Delete