" When we recall the past, we usually find it is the simplest things - not the great occasions - that in retrospect give off the greatest glow of happiness "

Bob Hope

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Irish In Me



                            The Irish In Me


    As I have gotten older my thoughts have often turned to the inevitable - some day I am going to pass from this world to the " here after " where ever that is I couldn't say, but everybody goes there. Some leave this life with lots of glorious fanfare, the shedding of many tears and in some cases not speaking ill of the dead is taken to new heights as the bullsh-t is spread like peanut butter on stale bread ( thick ).  It is sort of like my Grand Pa Wade said upon being elected as sheriff,  " Hell, I didn't know I had so many friends until I was elected sheriff " funerals tend to draw even your enemies to your side if for no other reason than to make sure you'r gone, they will tell the family how you will be missed but once the dirt starts fall into the hole all bets are off.
    Before I get to the nitty gritty let me preface my thoughts of passage to the next life with other more enlightening thoughts.
    First off - I have always had a light hearted outlook, although  I was dead serious about life, I tried to have fun even in the face of adversity.  One of my bosses once told me that the thing he hated most about me was that I was so laid back that nothing ever seemed to bother me and it pissed him off ( if  he thought I was laid back he should meet my brother Clint ). While I am happy to have pissed him off, nothing could be further from the truth lots of things bothered me it was just that I realized some things were out of my control so why worry about them. There has only been one time when I let things get to me and was broken  (if anybody runs into Terry M. tell him Mike said " f--- you ").
    In the Navy we had a saying ,"excuse me! you have obviously mistaken me for somebody who gives a s--t ".  This was quite often said by those who were considered short timers. I think that Linda can tell you that though I may have at times seemed unconcerned it would drive her crazy when I worried myself about a scratch on a project that only I could see. I care about things I am just more cautious about the battles I choose to fight.
    A few years ago I learned that I am half Irish and half English.  Truth be known, there probably are a few more nationalities mixed in.  At any rate I like to lean to the Irish side of my heritage.  An Irishman is historically known to be fun loving and full of merry making, always ready with a song and dance and I love their music.
    Getting back to the business of dying, Linda and I have talked about this issue and I have decided that I want to be cremated and my ashes scattered in the gulf stream.  Which part of the gulf stream is up to my sons - just enjoy the trip. While you boys are going to all the trouble to get to the gulf stream might as well take your fishing rod - all of those ashes may attract fish. Oh, and drink a cold one for the old man.
    I don't want a lot of ceremony.  I will leave that up to my family if it makes them happy to see me laid out so people can walk by and whisper about how good I look so be it - just do it on the cheap and use the money you save for a vacation. Besides looking at dead people is not one of the most pleasant things to do.
    What I do want is a wake.  A party to remember our life together ( good and bad ) , a celebration to move me out of this world so there will be room for the next generation.  Now I don't want just a wake - I want what I come to believe is an Irish wake - full of drinking, eating and story telling, laughter ( no tears ) and music.  Irish music  - and if anybody can figure out how to dance an Irish jig then have at it. There will be no bullsh-t at my wake, I know I have pissed off people in my time and if anybody wants to get something off their chest that's alright just don't confuse me with some one who cares ( I won't say a word ).  Invite whomever you choose, family, friends or strangers off of the street, every now and then look at my picture and have a drink for me.
    After all is said and done, the tears are dried and hang overs cured, get back to living the rest of your lives, my time will have come and gone as it should. In the days to come should a memory cause you to pause and reflect on the past, rather than dwell on it in a state of sadness go find a loved one, go for a walk, hug them, and tell them how much you love them, talk of tomorrow and things to come - be happy.
    Now don't go getting upset.  As far as I know I'm just getting old, not dying.  I am writing this before my senior moments  become too frequent to remember to say anything at all.  I hope you won't be to pissed off if that wake doesn't come about for another 20 yrs at least and should you decide not have a wake - well, that's all right too.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment